Sydney Opera House Open Day 2015

October 18, 2015

Grand Concert Hall foyer.
The Sydney Opera House opens its doors to the public annually, this free event allows the public to explore some of the rarely accessed areas of this landmark, such as backstage, dressing rooms, rehearsal rooms, and even walk on the main stage! Though I've been inside the Opera House for various performances over the years, I was invited by my friend and colleague to join them for this event.
Interior vaulted ceiling.
I was prepared for a large crowd (or so I thought), but as I made my way along the wharf and saw a long queue backed up all the way along the wharf, I had some serious doubts as whether this was a good idea after all, surely this isn't good for an ochlophobic like myself. It was a test of my patience...luckily at the urging of my friends whom were already inside waiting...I couldn't MIA.
Regardless if you are an architecture aficionado, tourist or just an everyday folk like myself, there's no doubting the sculptural elegance of the Opera House as it takes centre stage out on the Harbour. It is (if I may say so) what put Sydney and Australia on the map! The forecourt and ceremonial stairway definitely lets any visitor know that they are about to enter a place of grandeur and magic.
Interior detail.

SOH Quick Facts

Architect:  Jørn Utzon
Interiors: Ted Farmer
Opening: 1973
World Heritage Listing: June 2007

The one thing I love the most about the Opera House is how the modular concrete wedges that comprise the vaulted ceiling are visible on the inside. One can walk up, touch and feel the concrete; its crevices and texture and in my opinion this creates a much more personal experience for any visitor. Not to mention the linear lines, juxtaposition of different materials (concrete and timber) make for great architectural photography!
As we made our way through the various performances spaces (Joan Sutherland Theatre, Drama Theatre, Playhouse etc) , the highlight was definitely The Grand Concert Hall, the Opera House's largest and most majestic space, with high vaulted ceiling and timber paneling. It is a space that is grand yet feels warm and intimate at the same time. Today, it put on a show with lighting displays and also an organ performance.
Grand Concert Hall with organ in background.
It is a place that the more you learn about its history, its creation and the people that helped to realise Utzon's vision, the more you come to appreciate its beauty and grandeur. It is both a sculpture and an architectural masterpiece. With a quick bite at the Opera Kitchen after the tour, I'd say it's a pretty good way to spend some time with friends on a Sunday.

For more visit the Sydney Opera House website.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Stay Updated

Labels