Travel Japan – Tokyo Station Architecture Walk

May 09, 2016

Tokyo Station.
View of Tokyo Station.
My first trip to Japan was more than 10 years ago ( I know, that's a very long time) and it was such a disappointment that it has turned me off tour groups once and for all. So ever since, Japan has been sitting high on my to-do (again) list and this time, I'm doing it solo. I'd say if you had to do it alone, Japan would be one the top destinations.

Tokyo Station Architecture Walk

Arriving fairly early in Tokyo, my exploration started right away, well after finding my way out of the multi-storey labyrinth that is Tokyo Station. The red brick façade of the Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building is an iconic structure that dates back to nearly a hundred years. During the Edo period, Marunouchi was home to many of the feudal lords, and today is the CBD with many global financial firms setting up headquarters in the area. Beyond its heritage exterior is a vast expanse of commercial districts filled with shops, cafes, gallery and even a hotel. A maze...

Not far from the station is another red brick building – Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum. The building today is a reconstruction of the original design by Josiah Conder in 1894 and uses part of the original plans as well as building materials. Unfortunately, the Museum isn't open on Sunday but it is home to modern art exhibitions and houses its own contemporary collection of Western artworks from the late 19th Century.

A bit further down is the Tokyo International Forum, the largest convention and exhibition centre in Tokyo. The main lobby is housed in a glass atrium-style building designed by Rafael Viñoly and apparently resembles a boat on the exterior. But what I find interesting is the sweeping curves of the steel trusses which makes it an exceptionally interesting and photogenic interior.
Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building.
Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building.
Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum
Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum.
Tokyo International Forum.
Tokyo International Forum.
Have you been on any architecture walks around Tokyo? Drop me a comment, I'd love to know! More posts on my recent adventures in Japan to come, so make sure you subscribe so you don't miss out.
___
Come and say hello!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Stay Updated

Labels