SBS Insight – Heartbreak

September 23, 2015

The Special Broadcasting Service
The Special Broadcasting Service.
Heartbreak. What happens when one is going through a heartbreak? How can we heal a broken heart?

Those were some of the questions I had in mind as I made my way towards the SBS studio one Wednesday evening to be part of the SBS Insight studio audience, hosted by Jenny Brockie. It is a discussion forum whereby invited guests (local/international) and the studio audience are encouraged to exchange their stories, views and opinions on a wide range of topics.

So why heartbreak? Perhaps it was my curiosity to learn about other people's heartbreaks, hoping that by learning from others I will somehow better prepare myself for whatever trials that awaits me. After all we are all vulnerable.

I was lucky enough to meet the producer before taping as he ran me through a few things and informed me that I may be asked questions during the show...all thoughts left my mind. I was then directed to my reserved spot between two invited guests/experts – a cardiologist from RNS Hospital and a philosopher. There is no escape from the camera now.

The stories told tonight all revolved around shattered relationships; an unexpected breakup, a divorce after a decade of marriage, being cheated on by a partner. All began with love or shall I say with falling in love. It is only when love comes to an end that one truly experiences heartbreak, for it is dichotomous with love, like two sides of a coin. Each of the guests described experiencing intense pain through the body, shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, unable to move, all heightened physical responses. The cardiologist next to me touched on the 'Broken Heart Syndrome' or stress cardiomyopathy, whereby people exhibit heart attack like symptoms after suffering from a variety of emotional stressors. Hearts can be shattered after all.

At the end of the night, as I walked to the train station, I was left feeling hopeful. Despite hearing stories about lost loves and broken hearts, it was clear that they have all overcome their heartbreaks, some have found new loves, others gained new perspectives. Through their experience, they have found renewal and growth. Hearts can be broken, but it won't stop loving.

Finally, after two months of waiting, the show aired last night on SBS. Please click to view the full episode Heartbreak.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Stay Updated

Labels