Stepping Up – Finally

August 23, 2015

Gym Time
Gym time.
Today, *drum roll please* I stepped inside a gym for the very first time!

I'm a sedentary creature, or more colloquially known as a – couch potato (yep). My lifestyle up til now involved no regular physical exercise other than lifting food from plate to mouth. I have dabbled from time to time in the idea of exercise or having a basic fitness routine, but after a short lived stint on the Wii Fitness (you know...yoga on a board) that was about it.

One of the main reasons I never took my fitness seriously is that I'm skinny and always have been. I don't have any diet or health issues nor do I wish to build muscle or have abs therefore, physical exercise seemed pointless. I also didn't want to go to the gym because everybody else was; in order to belong; to live a particular lifestyle that you always see touted on social media. Lastly, as a creature of comfort, the idea of sweating in an alien environment (yes...I adapt slowly) just wasn't appealing, and even a little daunting.

BUT...not anymore! It's one giant leap for me, especially considering this wasn't even in my NY resolutions! So, what's changed?

Well, the most obvious and instrumental change has been a change in my mentality towards fitness and exercise in general thanks to some positive influences from friends. I don't have a specific goal in mind such as to reach a target weight or gain muscle, all I'm after is improving my general health and wellbeing by participating in weekly classes and doing some leg work on the treadmill. Afterall, being skinny ≠ being fit.

The main issue I had was a lack in energy and motivation. I just didn't have much drive or interest to do anything and so most of my weekends are spent being a vegetable. Hence when I'm under stress or feeling frustrated, I tend to just keep it in all inside and withdraw into my own little world, which isn't healthy nor is it an effective way of problem solving. Analysis paralysis.

Now, having attended two classes this weekend, I can say I really enjoyed it! No, it wasn't as daunting as I imagined, I wasn't even as self conscious nor did I have an accident on the treadmill (see...it was all in my head). I realised that during those 1-2hrs I was completed focused on what I was doing, and it's actually quite relaxing. I certainly left the gym feeling more positive and in control. 

Another factor which led me to finally make the leap is GymBetter, as a casual gym user I certainly didn't want to be locked in a contract and pay an expensive joining fee. Now with GymBetter, I have the flexibility of a single access pass, no sign-ins, joining fees or contracts. I just go whenever I wish.
So yes, I've finally made the investment in my health, because who else is going to? But I have been warned that the key is persistence.


I will soldier on!

Please contact your health provider for more information.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Stay Updated

Labels