The Wedding Guest Edition #2

January 31, 2015

All in pink.
Last Saturday; a hot and humid summer evening, I attended yet another wedding. It is the last of many weddings which have dominated my social calender since the latter half of last year, so I was relieved that after this wedding I will not have to attend another in a very long time. But at the same time I was looking forward to soaking up some wedding cheer and start the year on a good note.

What sets this wedding apart from the others I've been was the medium by which the couple met; the internet or the maze that is online dating. Even though I myself have set foot into this maze (2015 – Just Do It!), I still question whether love can be found via clicks of a mouse button. Yet somehow, the newlyweds managed to beat the odds, proving to all that were present that love can indeed be found when one has patiently trolled through enough online dating profiles and been on many less that average first dates.

They are certainly one of the lucky few. ♥

6° of Separation
It is common to bump into familiar faces at a wedding, especially if you are from a Chinese background, well then that tightens the social circle even more. But never in my wildest dreams (apologies for the lack of a better cliché) did I think I would be sitting at the same table, right next to the very first guy who contacted me online!

This sounds almost good enough to be a rom-com moment. You meet your online dating match at a friend's wedding (a gorgeous Leehom Wang), at the end of the night you guys dance together to the serenade of all serenades "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" and fall head over heels in love. But...in reality, there is nothing quite so awkward *cough cough* as meeting your online dating match at a friend's wedding. 

The awkwardness isn't so much in the what to say, but the fact that we were both harbouring the same little secret that cannot be disclosed to other guests at the table. I couldn't greet him like I knew him and say to the others "Meet my online dating match, what a small world", nor could I completely ignore his presence and put a sack over my head.  
Well, in the end, being myself was the best policy.

It is the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of 'a friend of a friend' statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. – Wikipedia




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I thought it was fate that put you two together at the same table and you guys even sat next to each other. It was awkward for me too, as I couldn't say anything either as I didn't want to make the situation known to others. All in all, it was a lovely wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fate makes it sounds like such a rom-com moment, better see things for what they are, which was slightly awkward for us all...haha but i guess it was an experience nonetheless.

      Delete

Stay Updated

Labels